SEVEN outdoor LSSI place-based education programs will take place M-Th, June 1-4
1) Monday, June 1st, 8:45 AM-11:45 AM, Dollar Bay Elementary School (contact Carrie Meneguzzo, Gr. 4 teacher) THREE 1-hour rotations: on Agassiz, 102 GLRC, and 104 GLRC. Funded by Ride the Waves/GM.
2) Monday, June 1st from 10 AM — 2:30 PM Jeffers High School’s Place-based Learning Day at Lake Perrault and the Michigan Nature Association's Brown Sanctuary. Funded by a grant from EPA to support Exemplary Place-based Education in Schools and the Lake Superior Stewardship Initiative.
For more info, contact Chuck Palosaari firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Tuesday, June 2nd, 8:45AM-11:45 AM, Dollar Bay Elementary School (contact Kevin Butler, Gr. 5 teacher)
Two 1.5-hour sessions aboard the Agassiz research vessel (GLRC dock/boathouse) and lab (102 GLRC).
Funded by Ride the Waves/GM.
4) Tuesday, June 2nd from 1:00-2:20 PM ~ Houghton Middle School at the Marsin Center monitoring frogs & salamanders, fish seining, and native plant landscaping. Funded by Keweenaw Land Trust with a grant from the Youth Advisory Council (YAC) of the Keweenaw Community Foundation awarded in March 2015. DIRECTIONS to the Marsin Center: Travel on Canal Road for 6.4 miles through Oskar, turn Right onto Red Brick Road. Marsin Nature Area trailhead will be on your right after 0.3 miles near the open field. Continue following Red Brick Road another 0.5 miles to reach the Marsin Nature Retreat, located on the Left side of the road. Keep right at the fork in the road.
5) Wed, June 3rd ~ Washington Middle School Gr. 6-8 students will conduct Adopt a Beach Program and invasive species removal at Calumet Waterworks Park. Funded by a grant from EPA to support Exemplary Place-based Education in Schools and the Lake Superior Stewardship Initiative. For more info, contact Darrell Hendrickson <email@example.com> or Lloyd Wescoat 906-487-3341.
6) Wed., June 3rd, 1-4 pm, Native Plant Garden Open House at L'Anse Middle School & CJ Sullivan Elementary School. Contact: Jen Martin, Gr. 7-8 science teacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org
7) Thursday, June 4, Dollar Bay Elementary School will conduct monitoring at the Marsin Center. For more information, call Michelle Miller @281-2911 or Keweenaw Land Trust at 482-0820. Funded with a grant from the Youth Advisory Council (YAC) of the Keweenaw Community Foundation awarded in March 2015 to the Keweenaw Land Trust. DIRECTIONS to the Marsin Center: see #4 above.