Local educators present at Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative's Place Based Education Conference
The Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative (GLSI) Place Based Education Conference took place at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti from November 9-11, 2017. Ten local educators presented at the conference about their innovative work with students through their Lake Superior Stewardship Initiative projects.
Below is a list of the conference presentations given by local educators. Travel and registration costs were covered by a grant to the Western UP Center from the GLSI.
• Computational Modeling in Placed-based Education- Darrell Hendrickson, Washington Middle School
• Sustaining Stewardship in Washington Middle School — Darrel Hendrickson, Kristen Svoke, Julie Goldworthy, and Carl Arko
• Engaging Students in 3D Learning Through Place-based Education- Shawn Oppliger, Western UP Center
• How the Rock Connects Us — Dr. Erika Vye, MTU Center for Science & Environmental Outreach and Western UP Center
• North Woods Kids: a Multi-disciplinary Bridge to Place-based Learning- Dr. Evelyn Johnson, Michigan Tech
• Milkweed to Monarchs: A Winter-sowing Collaborative Gardening Project — Barb Kinnunen Skidmore, CLK Elementary and Lloyd Wescoat, MTU Center for Science & Environmental Outreach and Western UP Center
• A Research Project to Ignite Students’ Interest in Science through Field Trips at the Belle Isle Aquarium — Joan Chadde, MTU Center for Science & Environmental Outreach and Western UP Center and Dr. Jeff Ram, Wayne State University